I wanted to provide for you an option on what to do when it comes to cooking for yourself or if you live with other people, how to eat something healthy and delicious but on a budget. Here is one meal that I love to make that is simple and delicious!
Stuffed Chicken with Couscous and Kale
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 small package of Goat cheese or cream cheese – whichever you prefer
- 3 table spoons Pesto
- Couscous – any brand will do, just look in pasta isle for a cheap box of it.
- Red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive Oil
- 3 Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 whole carrot
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix together goat cheese or cream cheese and pesto together in small bowl, then set aside
- Wash chicken breasts and place on cutting board. Cut a pocket into the chicken breasts thats located right in the middle so you are able to easily stuff the cheese mix inside
- Once you have successfully cut the pocket, stuff the chicken breasts with the cheese mixture, distribute evenly.
- Liberally salt and pepper the outside of each chicken breast
- Oil a baking pan big enough to fit both chicken breasts; once the oven is ready place the chicken in the oven and set a timer for 15-25 minutes depending on how large the chicken is.
- Make sure to check on the chicken halfway through the time to estimate if they need longer or not; temperature for chicken should be 165 degrees no less!!
- While the chicken is cooking wash the Kale and cut or rip into bit size pieces; set aside
- Never wash mushrooms, just gently wipe them with a dry paper towel; they are very porous and soak in a lot of moisture.
- Was your carrot and shave off outside layer
- Slice up 2 garlic cloves, not too small, the more chopped the stronger the flavor.
- chop up into small pieces your mushrooms and carrots; set aside.
- In a large skillet (make sure you have a cover for it) heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, and let it simmer for 1 min.
- Add in the Kale and red wine vinegar, and start sautéing
- Once the kale starts to cook down cover with the lid and continue to check on it for the next 5-6 minutes.
- As the kale is cooking, start boiling up water in the pot for your couscous.
- Once the water is ready add in your couscous and let it cook for however long the box says.
- After Kale is finished set aside and use the same skillet to sauté your mushrooms and carrots until tender
- After the couscous is finished toss it together with the sautéed carrot and mushrooms.
- Chicken should be finished after 25 minutes the most, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then enjoy!!